There are a few things that I'd like to share with the world. Things I think you should know about Down Syndrome.
1. When someone tells you that they are having a child with Down Syndrome NEVER say 'I'm Sorry'. They may be sad, but that is still their baby that God created. They just need time to adjust to being in Holland. (See my post a few days ago about Holland.) If they are sad then encourage them or rejoice with them if it's appropriate. They may not know it yet, but their baby will be such a blessing and bring them so much joy.
2. People with Down Syndrome are filled with so much love and bring so much joy to their families. Every story I've read by a parent of a child with DS brings hope and encouragement to me. They love those little bundles of joy! Emma is so sensitive, even at this young age. She can sense when someone is hurt or upset. Sometimes she cries with them and sometimes she comforts them.
3. Do NOT use the word retarted, EVER. I think it is the worst word in the world. I'm serious about this one. This gets me upset more than most things in life. It always has and especially now with Emma. Most of the time people don't realize that they use it or they aren't meaning to hurt anyone, but someone with an intellectual disability, or someone who loves someone with an intellectual disability will be hurt. Start paying attention to how to talk and realize that words can do a lot of damage.
4. I think Emma is amazing. She, and others with DS, can learn just like everyone else. They just need a little extra help and time. The Early Intervention Program is so wonderful. The therapists that come and work with Emma have done great things with her. They have given us so many ideas on ways to help her accomplish her goals. We were blessed by all of the therapists that God put in her life.
5. Warning: This is another hot topic for me. When you have your blood work done when you're pregnant and your results come back 'abnormal'. They instantly say they need to get you in for further testing because there is a short window for an abortion. This makes me so angry. The medical community pushes you towards abortion. Every story I've read about moms who knew before their baby was born was encouraged to have an abortion. They don't even mention the option of adoption. They tell you all the negative things about DS, but they don't tell you about the good things. Like the joy and incredible love these kiddos give their families and friends, like the fact that Early Intervention and a loving family gives them the motivation they need to be successful just like any other child. Look at Emma, is there any reason for me to wish she wasn't here. She is beautiful, loving and full of life, brings a smile to everyone she meets. If I would have gotten rid of her I would have missed out on an amazing journey, on knowing an amazing girl that God will definitely use to reach others that may never come to know Him, except through her. (OK, I think I'm done now.)
6. Did you know that there are over 200 families with paperwork completed and are just waiting to adopt a child with Down Syndrome? That is so encouraging to me. Knowing that there are others out there who will give a child with DS a loving home.
7. If Emma didn't have DS we'd probably only have 2 kids. It's true, we decided that if she did have DS we would have another baby. You can thank Emma that we now have little Josiah. We thought another sibling to love and encourage her would help both her and Abigail as they grew up.
8. Emma really is our little miracle. We prayed and fasted while I was pregnant for her healing. Shortly before she was born Dave and I both felt God say she would be born with DS. The amazing thing is that He did answer our prayers. She is so healthy and doesn't have any medical issues. She understands so much of what is going on around her. I love her just the way God made her. Yes, sometimes it's tough when she doesn't do things when her peers can and its hard to watch her get frustrated because she can't communicate with words, but she will eventually do all things in her own time. She has definitely taught us the importance of keeping things in perspective and to rely on God in all things.
I love this little girl and I can honestly say I cannot imagine her any other way, because without DS she would not be my Emma!
I LOVE this post!!
ReplyDeleteThanks, April!
ReplyDeleteDanielle - You hit every single belief I have. I never want to hear someone use the R word...and Emma is perfect just the way she is... we are all so blessed to have her in our lives.
ReplyDelete