Friday, October 22, 2010

31 for 21: She's Going to School!

Today was our meeting with the school district.  I've been in these meetings before to make a child's IEP (Individualized Education Program), but only as a teacher, now it's my turn to switch roles and be the parent...very different!  They start off by giving you all the results from the testing.  She was tested by the psychologist, speech therapist, and the nurse.  They all gave their run down, which was so much info.  Most of it I already know because she's my baby and I'm around her all the time, but trying to keep up with all the technical jargon is tough, especially when they are explaining the test scores.  If they would make all tests worth 100 then it would be very easy to understand the results.  What can I say I like things simple. 

Anyway, Emma qualifies for pre-k and will be attending Mon-Thurs, for 2.5 hours a day.  There is not an opening at the school that she's zoned for so they had to find one with an opening, which wasn't easy.  They finally found one about 15 minutes away, but their only opening is for the afternoon class.  I was upset at first, because Emma focuses and does better in the mornings.  Afterwards, I had to do a little time praying about it and trying to gain perspective.  So, here are my thoughts after praying about it:  maybe this teacher will be the best for her where she is at right now, maybe this school has more to offer her right now than her home school does, maybe she will do great in the afternoon--she recently stopped napping and so maybe it won't bother her going later.  Or maybe, she won't do well and we will have to re-evaluate things and the school district will have to figure out a way to get her into a morning class....time will tell. 

I don't have the answers, but I trust that God has the 'Big Picture' under control.  That gives me peace.  He has always protected her, so why should this time be any different?  It isn't .  I know He will give Dave and I wisdom to know what is the best thing for her.  I went on the school's website to find out exactly where it was and to see if I could find something out about her teacher.  I found out that I know the principal.  She used to be a teacher at the school I worked at...small world.  That eased my fears a little too.  Next week we will be going to register her for school and meet the teacher.....craziness!  I can't believe I'm registering one of my kids for school.  I know she's going to grow and have fun.  I am so grateful for the programs they have in place for Emma.  I know her teachers are going to help her so much and I can't wait to see what the future holds for Miss Emma Joy! 

No comments:

Post a Comment